What type of help does the Postdoctoral Fellowships system offer?
What type of help does the Postdoctoral Fellowships system offer?
Postdoctoral Fellowships System
The Postdoctoral Fellowships (PDF) system provides help to a core of the very most promising researchers at a time that is pivotal their professions. The fellowships may also be meant to secure a availability of very qualified Canadians with leading-edge scientific and research abilities for Canadian industry, federal government and organizations.
Are you eligible for a PDF?
To be considered qualified to receive support, as of the deadline date associated with 12 months where you use, you need to:
- be considered A canadian resident or perhaps a permanent resident of Canada;
- hold or expect to carry a doctorate in another of the industries of research that NSERC supports.
- It is possible to use only one time towards the PDF program.
- You may possibly submit just one application per 12 months to 1 granting agency (NSERC, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research CIHR or perhaps the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council SSHRC). You must certainly not have previously gotten an award that is postdoctoralincluding a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship) from SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR.
- You need to have finished all needs of one’s degree that is doctoral no than 2 yrs prior www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PQZKo1RRuo reviews to the deadline date of the season where you use.
Note: This isn’t the conferred or convocation date suggested on your own transcript, but alternatively the date by which most of the demands of the level had been met, like the effective defence and distribution regarding the corrected copy of the thesis. The completion date of your most recent doctoral degree will be used to determine your eligibility for applicants with more than one doctoral degree.
- After you received your doctorate, NSERC will extend the eligibility period to three years if you have acquired at least six months of full-time relevant employment in industry or government (experience in an institution or its affiliated hospitals, research institutions and other laboratories will not be considered.
- If, within 2 yrs after the date of conclusion of one’s PhD, you’d your job considerably interrupted because of disease or family that is health-related, NSERC will expand this eligibility duration to three years.
- After you received your doctorate, NSERC will extend the eligibility period to three years if you have completed a non-research based clinical residency program.
- If, within 2 yrs after the date of conclusion of the PhD, you’d your job somewhat interrupted because of parental, medical and/or responsibilities that are family-related NSERC will extend the eligibility duration to 3 years.
- If, within 2 yrs before or following the date of conclusion of the PhD, you then become the caregiver that is primary the delivery or use of a kid, NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to six years.
- If you should be susceptible to a long eligibility duration, you might be asked by NSERC to give you more information and/or supporting paperwork. Any submission that is such NSERC is only going to be utilised by staff to evaluate your eligibility to your system. Then you may do so in the Special Circumstances section of the application if you wish to inform the review committee of delays and/or circumstances that may have affected your performance and/or productivity.
Where is it possible to hold your fellowship?
It is possible to hold your PDF at:
- Canadian organizations
- provincial research organizations in Canada
- other research that is appropriate in Canada
- organizations and research organizations abroad
You can not hold a PDF in Canadian federal federal government laboratories or in commercial laboratories across Canada.
NSERC encourages one to undertake research which involves collaboration along with other organizations that are canadian. The character regarding the proposed collaboration must be appropriate towards the host organization.
- You might hold a PDF abroad as long as you have gotten your doctorate from a Canadian organization.
- NSERC encourages PDF award holders to broaden their research experience by gaining experience of various research surroundings. You’re not allowed to keep your fellowship during the exact same organization (or its affiliated hospitals, research organizations along with other laboratories) in which you received your doctorate. Nevertheless, you might request an exclusion that’ll be considered by the selection committee. The demand must certanly be according to medical reasons (for instance, proximity to needed health care facilities), household reasons (for instance, a partner’s job) or clinical reasons (as an example, option of specific gear), which can make it very difficult so that you can keep an institution that is particular. Regardless if your exclusion is awarded, you aren’t allowed to be monitored by the PhD supervisor. You may be motivated to add a location that is alternate your PDF in case your ask for an exclusion just isn’t authorized.
- You may maybe perhaps maybe not contain the PDF together with your PhD supervisor, no matter if your supervisor changes research institutions.
- Keeping a PDF abroad may influence your residency status in Canada. You may possibly desire to contact the appropriate Canadian authorities or an expert that is appropriate advice.
How will you apply?
You can easily submit an application for a PDF by completing and Form that is submitting 201 connecting supporting documents if required. See the directions on the best way to finish Form 201.
Application due date
NSERC must get the job electronically before 8:00 p.m. (ET) on October 17. Incomplete applications is likely to be refused.
Apart from individual contact information, NSERC will maybe not accept any noticeable modifications or updates to the job after it was submitted. Individual contact information might be updated by delivering a contact to email@example.com.
Review procedures and selection requirements
NSERC scholarships and fellowships selection committees review all PDF applications. The choice committees assess each application based on the selection requirements described into the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships tools. Keep in mind that NSERC may increase equity and diversity among qualified candidates by providing award priority to meritorious candidates who self-identify as Indigenous and/or as a female, if enough funds become available. The choice committees are arranged in line with the after broad control groups:
- Civil and industrial engineering
- Chemical, biomedical and materials technology engineering
- Technical engineering
- Electric engineering
- Computing sciences
- Mathematical sciences
- Physics and astronomy
- World sciences
- Development and ecology
- Cellular and molecular biology
- Plant and animal biology
The research topic rule (see set of Research topic Codes for Scholarships and Fellowships) joined regarding the application will figure out the choice committee where the application is supposed to be assessed. NSERC may designate the program up to a committee that is different it determines that the niche matter is more suitable for another committee.
NSERC expects selection committee people to consistently guard resistant to the risk of unconscious bias affecting the process that is decision-making whether these biases are derived from a way of thinking, fundamental versus used research, specific sub-disciplines, aspects of research or approaches (including growing people), size or trustworthiness of an organization, age, gender and/or other individual facets for the applicant.
NSERC is performing on the data that equity, diversity and addition bolster the systematic and engineering communities together with quality, social relevance and effect of research. Candidates should relate to concerns 5 to 7 into the Guide for Applicants: Considering equity, diversity and addition in the job to learn more.
A of the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships Programs which provides useful information on what committee members look for in assessing applications in preparing their application, applicants should consult the Selection criteria and indicators section and Appendix. Candidates must also read the guidelines for finishing an application – Form 201.
Applicants are examined and chosen based on:
- Analysis capability and potential(70%)
- Correspondence, social and leadership abilities (30%)
Notification of choice
NSERC will alert all candidates regarding the outcomes by the end of January. NSERC will perhaps not provide outcomes by phone.
NSERC will publish the names (along with other fundamental award information) of fellowship recipients on its internet site. To learn more, begin to see the use of Ideas Act plus the Privacy Act.
Conditions for the honor
Reference the Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder’s Guide for policies and needs about keeping the prize, such as for instance acceptance, begin date, deferment, paid leave that is parental keeping the honor for a part-time foundation, etc.